Saturday, June 27, 2015

"Innocent" sunscreen



Powerful is the Sun! This is a summer of very hot sun, and for the first time my skin, and my lips are speaking to me about 'too much' of a good thing.

The three YouTube videos(one to identify; one to hear of St. Joan/St.John's Wort; another for how to make a tincture with the harvested wildflower) with herbalist and long-time Green Blessings Woman, Susun Weed are giving me options to sunscreen off the shelf. Last week I emailed our friends from the Seattle MCS community asking what if any commercial sunscreen they are using. A few friends replied with brands I had heard about, but not used. It's been more than a decade since I've used sunscreen off the shelf, and after reading the EWG (Environmental Working Group) Website I knew there is a better, different way. Even with the 'safer' levels of toxicity listed on the EWG site, the ingredients shouted to my gut: "hurt."

So, for now, I am exploring St. Joan/St. John's Wort or Hypericum perforatum. The traditional harvest for this perennial wildflower is after Summer Solstice when they have blossomed. That was last weekend. The Full Moon in Capricorn, coming July 1st, 2015 is just days away. Perhaps, my timing is good and the 'Green Blessings' will be part of my good luck as Jupiter and Venus are close in the sky.

Have you any experience with St.Joan/St.John's wort? As sunscreen?


No comments:

Post a Comment