Monday, June 22, 2015

The value of song, the meaning of aloha

 "These folks are not used to accepting that others have power to recognize and help perfect what is valuable in them."  - more from North Node in Taurus
This weekend was sparked by the good fortunate of a Moon-Jupiter-Venus conjunction in Leo. Yesterday we drove to our friends' home in the Maxwelton Valley with a case of young Thai coconuts, and my beautiful ukulele rode along excited to be part of the celebration. We were delivering a thank you gift. There was also the promise of a freshly-baked pie to share. While the waves of grief and loss still roll over us, the power of friendships and genuine appreciation balances the strong emotions. Kumu Hula Olana A'i's definition of Aloha, "Aloha is the intelligence with which we meet life," fits the experience of this weekend. Generosity and Aloha are same-same.



This vintage menu cover depicts the feeling I had this weekend, and except for the phase of the moon and coconuts instead of hibiscus and bananas it was an Aloha time. Our friend Jude gifted us unbidden with financial backing that will bring Internet and connectivity to the South Whidbey Tilth, the place where we will gather for HO'OMOKU. The original offer was to pay for our airfare to and from the September 'AIMALAMA Pacific Peoples' Lunar Conference on Climate Change on O'ahu. Rather than board a plane to participate, we asked if her gift could be redirected to creating a HUB or webinar site on Whidbey Island. She said, "Yes."

So ... yesterday we spent a sweet couple of hours with our friends. I played my ukulele and sang old-style, old school chalangalang the music that soothes my heart and soul. Stringing bits of lyrics from here 'a song of white sandy beaches, gentle breeze'and there, including English and 'Olelo Hawaii "auhea 'oe"; throwing in a riff of "Shoo-fly don't bother me" because I wait all year long to shoo those flies. Pete demonstrated his technique for getting 'at the eyes' of the young coconut with a serrated knife, on the way to the sweet coconut water and amazing electrolytes within Niu Ola. "Amazing!" was the verdict, faces of satisfaction spread as one more canned coconut water drinker discovered the real McCoy! We talked and had delicious conversation about the moon, Hawaiian culture, and the Power of Ten plus so much else. And then, we ate home-made strawberry and rhubarb pie with our choice of coconut ice cream or ice cream from the moo (cow). ONO (that means delicious!)

Somewhere in the struggle to right wrongs and meddle in the business of corrections and battling for power in all the wrong places, I lost track of the aloha present in all the right places ... every place if I left safe enough within. The process and the journey is a life's journey. I wish I had made it here before ... but, it matters that I'm getting closer. On Solstice Eve, Saturday this weekend we spent another beautiful and joyful time with friends.


Playing at the beach, making rocky mud pies and generally just mess'n around what was important just showed up between handfuls of playfulness. Solstice joined in as we grounded ourselves on the wet shore. My ukulele and I were there, too. One of my newly made friends asked me, "Tell me more about aloha?" It was difficult to answer in words. Later, I emailed her, "The answer to your question? It was in that song I sang as the ukulele made its sounds. Playing chalangalang I got how aloha is a rigorous verb ... active, loving intelligence with which to meet life!

No comments:

Post a Comment