Friday, May 1, 2015

Bending, but not bending the truth

An example of Kilo (observation) Kuleana (personal responsibility)

My Ancestors were keen observers. Kilo practitioner and ethno-scientist Kalei Nu'uhiwa answers Three Common Questions About Kaulana Mahina on her website. She answers the question, "Where does the term Kaulana Mahina comes from?" by citing three scholars' definitions, including Pukui and Elbert (Hawaiian Dictionary),Zepelino Keauokamalie and Joseph M. Poepoe. Her conclusion:
"Therefore Kaulana Mahina is a traditional Hawaiian science that employed the methodology of keen observation, hypothesis, and trial and error, noting conclusions and then organizing time by the traditional environmental experts called kahuna."

Hawaiian Star Chart for Makali'i

According to Kaulana Mahina, the moon is in Akua,  A good time for fishing and planting the staple crops (kala, 'uala, mai'a). Akua is one of the phases of the moon's cycle when many Kanaka, including myself, take time to give thanks to the Akua, the elemental forces of Nature, the parts of the mystery that I have no control over ... but, am part of. The wealth and abundance corner in our vardo dangles with an old and favorite pillow case that I have re-used, stitched into a 'Penny Pouch' to catch a penny a day, in a dance of thanksgiving and staying in the flow. This morning soon after waking I pulled a penny and did my simple ritual. Recalling it now, I think to add my appreciation to the Akua. Mahalo! Mahina is fattening, coming into her fullness in the sky occupied by the constellation Scorpio. Over the years of maturing my practice with observation, an apprenticeship in astrology is important in my hypothesizing. I learn from a skilled and more practiced teacher. Come Sunday she will be in Scorpio. My astrologer says, "The tension is so thick, you can cut it with a knife.. We have a full moon in Scorpio...it's intense! When I see people snapping like twigs, it reminds me what? to BEND! Bend so I don't brak. And when I see people holding on till their dying breath, to something obviously dead, rotting and poisonous to them, it reminds me to let go."

She also prepares her readers for the long-stay of the planet Mercury in the sign of Gemini. The planet assigned the characteristics of communications (swift messenger) will retrograde May 19th through June 12th, and then STAY in Gemini until the middle of July. I left a comment on that post:


"For me: 5th House for the long Mercury stay. The play house, creative projects and babies. Elizabeth Rose Campbell in her book Intuitive Astrology says of the 5th House, "Be it and, therefore, birth it." This advice you[Elsa] give: "This should be mostly positive, since planets function well in their home sign. However, minds and mouths will move swiftly. Some will figure it's more important that conversation be interesting, then it be true." 
 I feel the tension of the Scorpio Full Moon, it adds to the tension of managing and accepting the limitations of life with pollen, restrictions that are real yet not impossible (unless I break from the pressures). Astrology gives me the keen observations of my place in relation to the bigness of the multi-verse. The energy of planets, asteriods, sun and moon play or battle with my will. My kuleana is different from will-power. When I remember "kuleana" defined as my Ancestors lay meaning, it means, "right, title, property, portion, responsibility, jurisdiction, authority, interest, claim, ownership; reason, cause, function, justification; small piece of property, as within an ahupua'a; blood relative through whom a relationship to less close relatives is traced." - Pukui & Elbert

The process is often so much longer than the immediate solution or quick fix. I engage in process, and ask for help when I get wound up in my journey, forgetting there is more to life than getting it right. There is a lot of trial and error. Bend, let go. Bend, but not the truth. It all adds up to drawing down the knowledge from above, and making it a living practice. Integrated. Internalized. Lived. Okay. Break time.

No comments:

Post a Comment