Wednesday, May 20, 2015

A third set of teeth: living long enough to have them!

I write myths, fairy tales to some, medicine stories to others. With the time between conceiving this place called HO'OMOKU, and birthing the place for the public community, there is hesitation and questioning. Benjamin Renner, Director and co-creator of the wonderful animated film "Ernest and Celestine" described the process he went through to create the unique watercolor animation and adaptation of a beloved French children's tale. Paragraphing him, Renner said it was not so much he lacked confidence with the undertaking, it was a matter of questioning, constantly questioning whether the process was 'just right.' When I am at work making something up, I will be at precisely that place Renner speaks of. It helps me to listen and watch the BONUS Features often included in the movies Pete and I borrow from our public library. Through the eyes and words of artists involved in creating a film I have enjoyed I get a feel for the creative process. Involvement of many people give me a sense of what I might attempt on my own, in my isolated hole in the woods. Waiting for the moment when an opportunity to engage others for support might expand the work.



When I began writing the medicine story "The Safety Pin Cafe" it was a self-medicating process. I was being given directions for a unique medication. The doses of story were the prescription, and the words and journey were the application of faith. Or as I wrote here when The Safety Pin Cafe grew into a second story, "The Joy Weed Journal" an intimate behind the scenes story of the main character introduced in The Cafe, the roots of my Hawaiian culture were growing out of fertile ground. More was coming. Something wonderful (to me) was reaching for the light.

"Woven throughout this medicine story will be the words and sensibilities of the Hawaiian culture; they are in the root of me and flavor all the art. As we unfurl the magic and myth within this medicine (story) the culture of an ancient Earth people will give us potential tools to navigate life today. The gift offered here is given in the spirit of interconnectedness.
HO'OKAMAHA'O"To be or do something wonderful; to take a new and more splendid form"
HO'OKA'AU" Witty, clever, entertaining, humorous; to pass the time pleasantly' entertaining time"
--Hawaiian Dictionary, Pukui and Ebert
With that spirit in mind and heart let's enjoy ourselves!!
There is an almost invisible border a writer maintains as she works with the elements that make story. At the same time the need for quiet and room for imagining allow for a well-simmered tale, real life clambers to fed, walked, or washed. With the added dimension of an unpredictable illness the borders are permeable, not permanent nor unchanging. At a snap the safe border is invaded. Fighting will work for a while. Steeling against the intrusion works for a time. But mostly, real life and the medicine of myth in my world connect. It must be that high tolerance for ambiguity indigenous cultures love that makes the perfect soup of story.

Today is one of those days when the illness and the symptoms must be attended to. My body is under seige. Pollens plus a season chore that needed doing has tipped the scale of balancing the border. What I found for a dose of 'medication' was a conversation and thread for people (like me) who live with environmental illness, MCS. The conversation was about what to do when you have fewer teeth. MCS challenges a person to deal with contemporary solutions as 'not likely.' In other words, many of us with this illness cannot tolerate mainstream dentists or dentistry. A reply in the conversation went something like this:

" What was the creator doing when she only allowed humans two sets of teeth?"

My reply to the conversation was "Exactly...! I wrote a mythic tale about a very special character (who lives a long time) and does that ... grows a third set of teeth. Sometimes, myth is the only way to make it through life that seems impossible. I am dealing (inelegantly so often:) with the reality of fewer teeth, and just as little money to continue work with a EcoDentist. A great practitioner, if, you can afford it. I am a storyteller who loves to smile, laugh and ... tell stories. With fewer teeth the stories are different!
If anyone is interested ... the mythic tale and the bit about MAX, the red-haired one who grows a third set of teeth is here."

No comments:

Post a Comment