Friday, August 28, 2015

"Making (an) island home where you find it" ... Peach for peace

And Now, An Ode to Peach
" Although Peaches are closely related to Cherries, Apples and Roses, each of the Rosaceae species has its own very unique feel and personality. Peach has a feeling of longing and wistfulness, of hot southern nostalgia that smells like perfume and whiskey and fairies masquerading as fireflies and glow-worms on a summer night.

I often use Peach tincture when I find my fists unconsciously clenched or notice that I have built up tension manifesting as feeling overheated, parch-mouthed and overtly irritated. It makes a soothing, cooling nervine is such cases and won't aggravate dryness. There's something deeply restorative about Peach that I can't perfectly describe, something that helps to heal hurt caused by grief or loss, or anger that stems from a deep wound. It works very well with it's cousin Rose for these uses, especially if there's any depression or sexual component involved. Where Hawthorn seems to work better for the raging grief caused by rejection or acute loss, Peach is often most specific where there's some level of obsession or chronic focus on something lost or long awaited for, and that obsession manifests as ongoing irritation, tension leading to burnout and consuming sadness. That's not say that Peach doesn't make a fabulous general nervine, it certainly does. Peach leaf tea is a traditional Southern/Appalachian remedy for hysteria, anxiousness and nervousness.  It's quite safe and is particularly helpful for children, pregnant women and those of sensitive or delicate constitutions. It's cooling, slightly moistening, relaxing and deeply restorative for burned out people still in the process of burning themselves out. This includes many peri or currently menopausal women with hot flashes, irritation, emotional lability and general hot-temperedness."
- Anima Center

We get a bumper crop of peaches only every few years. Since we have been here five summers, and have enjoyed two of these abundant fruit years there is our experience. Until this year (2015) I have picked and eaten her fruit, and feel glad of that. Grateful. And, this year the abundance is being sliced and soaked awhile in lemon juice before freezing so we can enjoy the fruit in another season.
But this season, the journey of 'making island' begun when I listened to the voice that said "Ho'omoku" ... I wonder? Is that Ancestral, MY ANCESTOR, or ... perhaps it is the ancestor of beings that are not human, and instead the
Ancestor Allies of the Plant Beings.
Thanks to an email "Prevention of and Herbal Therapeutics ... " from our lovely Kaliko back on O'ahu who sent me something she thought would be helpful for the smoke inhalation happening this summer,
I have followed 'the bread crumbs' and found information about making Peach 'or Persica medicine.'
Under the heading Respiratory Relaxant, the link Kaliko emailed included this about "Peach – Prunus persica – Cool, sweet and moistening, Peach leaf is broadly applicable for all sorts of respiratory tension and heat as well as the immune hyperfunction that can occur in response to wildfire smoke. The tincture, elixir or even just the tea made with the dried leaves all serve admirably." Combining both this recommendation and snippet of  "An Ode to Peach" which begins this post, I welcome to healing Plant Herbs and Plants as well as the helpful Human People who offer love and support to me. It is truly an active act of aloha, to recognize, that I am often resistant to help; and that is not something to be proud of. But, perhaps, this kind of experience, on this Hoku Full Moon is one of the ways I can remedy that character trait. 


Peach fruit and Leaf sit on our Quonset table 

An infusion of that pot filled with Peach leaves in a half-gallon glass canning jar steeps. I let it steep for an hour for my first batch of Peach Tea. I'm sipping it now. It's bitter, but not unpleasant. I added a squeeze of fresh ginger. I'm sweating as I type

E Ho Mai: Peach for peace. I slow down, introduce myself to the Beings, the Plant and Fruit Beings who have been here long before me, and ask how they sustain themselves on this island making it their home. And, perhaps, I learn to apply their wisdom to my life as Human Woman. And, so I don't forget the connectivity of the technological wave, "Thanks for the keyboard, wires, an waves that get me from a thought or a need to answers otherwise untapped." Mahalo all. I have lots to learn. Grateful to have this new day to experience living. Wheww...

P.S. I'm learning it doesn't take many peach leaves to make a healing medicine. That's a good lesson for humans.

No comments:

Post a Comment