Thursday, July 9, 2015

Family of the Coconut

Niu 
I was born on a Hoaka Moon, a Ku Moon. Today, Mahina moves out of the 'Ole phases into the Kaloa phases. We are preparing for ceremony tomorrow: baking pineapple upside-down cakes just like Ma would. A pot of chicken marinates in ginger and apple cider vinegar with lots of garlic and coconut amino acids; I'll cook that up for sharing as a cool noon dish. The box of la'i fresh green ti leaves has arrived. I called Kaliko, "Mahalo! They arrived. Uncle Pete went in and got them. They arrived early." Pete is out at the TILTH checking out the site for tomorrow, and checking on equipment.

The young coconuts chill'n, a pot of chicken marinating

One cake down, the other readied for the oven

A box of green ti leaves from O'ahu arrived safely 'where goosberry bushes grow'

To put myself into the flow I heard the name "Ruby." Waking from my very informative dreams, I headed to the Quonset to get the eggs and butter for the cakes. Then I came here (to the keyboard) and pulled up the link to a 2008 evening with one of my first teachers when I was a young student at the University of Hawaii in Manoa on the island of O'ahu. That is the Ruby that my 'aumakua reminded me of this morning ... hear her again they said. So wise, so right on time, at the right time!

Rubellite Kawena Johnson "Ruby" is a treasure of knowledge applied. This morning as I melted butter, mixed cake batter and walked in and out of the Quonset, I listened and watched my beloved kumu ... The link to that two-part presentation is here.  Pete and I sat, listened and watched our favorite teacher together. Her presence was what we both needed. To focus. To be reassured of our place in this evolving Island Earth. We appreciate that the technology of advanced human curiosity allows us to re-connect with Kumu Ruby Kawena Johnson again, and again.

I met Kumu in 1967 when young and empty though I knew not how empty. In the almost fifty years since I first sat, listened and watched her in the large old classrooms of the University of Hawaii, there have been many turnings huli of the night sky. Change has come, and gone. Today we cool two cases of young coconut shipped across the oceans, just as my sea-faring survivor ancestors did long long ago. It took much effort to secure the babies of coconut trees that were once growing on some Thai plantation owners land. We mahalo them! The planters and the niuola.

We will share those babies -- the nuts filled with sustaining flesh and life-giving water. As I finished listening to Kumu's presentation I was rewarded with a story I had forgotten she tells at the very end of the two-part talk. It is about her experience as a young girl who was sure she could not climb a ten foot coconut tree, in a dress. If you are curious enough to listen to Kumu and her connection with coconuts (as I am connected) you will learn about a young girl's lesson from her Tutu (grandmother ... her four-foot tall one, and the ten-feet tall one). The presentation is here.

Mahalo Kumu. I love you.


No comments:

Post a Comment