Thursday, April 23, 2015

'OLELO (word) Protocol, asking, naming

'olelo. Language, speech, word; to speak, say,tell; oral, verbatim, verbal - Hawaiian Dictionary, Pukui & Elbert

Business size cards lie across my desk. Words, 'olelo, and their meanings look back at me as I work, search or distract myself through the window of the cyber world. The cards are printed with the words of wisdom compiled by Kupuna Mary Kawena Pukui; they are named 'Olelo No'eau. Like beacons they anchor me in the work I do, tethering me when the journey seems perilous, feels directionless; or, smells just right. I pick a point of light ... pull one of the 'olelo cards and chant them.


HO'OMOKU  is in its early stages of growth. The 'olelo no'eau "He puko 'a kani 'aina. A coral reef that grows into an island. A person beginning in a small way gains steadily until he becomes firmly established" is the one I look at, repeat, and pray with. I am not an easily patient person by nature, what with the Leo signature for drama lighting up my Mars, Saturn, and Pluto. I am at war with myself underground. But, my Capricorn (conservative and careful) Moon yearns for security so the long, slow, growth (like building an island from a coral reef) is a satisfying kind of personal mantra ... I feed the myth and the deep nature (Pluto/Pele).

Four cards total looks me in the eye as I write. In addition to He puko 'a kani 'aina is this ...

O ke kahua mamua, mahope ke kukulu. The site first; and then the building. Learn all you can, then practice. I am in conversation with a woman named Michelle from the Tulalip Lushootseed Language Department. One of the first things my kuleana (obligations/responsibilities) requires is to ask for the First Peoples' acknowledgement (make myself known to them); and then, I respectfully ask for the correct names for the places where I am. "Of what place am I?"


I ask: I said my prayers, chanted the chants (E HO MAI, Pule Ho'ulu'ulu)
Checked my navigational tools: GOOGLE, 'Olelo No'eau, Kilo (astrology and Kaulana Mahina)
Went: onto the Internet, found clues, dug through their potential, went further
Visited: The Island County Historical Society Museum in Coopeville, Washington
Made contact: A helpful docent gives me the card of the Museum director; an email to the director suggests the pronunciation for Whidbey Island; director's email suggests getting in touch with the Tulalip Lushootseed Language Department for more accurate pronunciation; I followup with that suggestion initiating contact (via email) and getting a response nine days later. Practicing patience was the order of those days. It is paying off now, as I wait to hear what Michele has to say about specific place names.

This is an example of makawalu the unfurling process of journeying, as a fern unfolds, as a person unfolds and grows, as a coral reef grows into an island. As is true for my Hawaiian culture, the names of places in the Salish/First Peoples' ways here, are very often based on events that took place on a specific spot. What we call Whidbey Island is, perhaps, as accurate as calling a voyaging canoe a 'boat.' Not even! So, I write what I can about the creative and protocol pono (culturally respectful) process underway and chronicle the journey as a lesson in 'olelo.Using the navigational paths of the Internet I search to find the 'true' names of places on this moku (island). I am learning all I can before practicing.

To be continued ... 

I have received a respectful and honoring email response from teacher and artist Michelle Myles of the Tulalip Lushootsheed Language Department. I am humbled by the message, and grateful for the information granted me. I now have two Lushootseed names to learn. The language is very different for me. I have begun to practice using the helpful Alphabet page. This will take time.

While I practice, it would be helpful, I believe, to play this song, listen to the sounds, and take the message to heart. Don't Give Up Song

Mahalo nui loa a pau Michelle.

1 comment:

  1. I had some thoughts rumbling through me about names. They needed a place to settle. I put them here on Makua O'o: http://makuaoo.blogspot.com/2015/04/and-your-names.html

    ReplyDelete